Malaysia refutes second U.S. action over alleged 1MDB misappropriation scandal
KUALA LUMPUR, June 16 (Xinhua) -- Malaysia's attorney general has expressed frustration over the second action taken by the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) on the Malaysian state fund company 1MDB, saying Friday that it "appears to be a repeat of" last year's lawsuits.
Attorney General Mohamed Apandi Ali said in a statement that the Attorney General's Chambers of Malaysia was "yet again" not informed or alerted by the DoJ of this action.
The attorney general noted that "there has been no evidence from any investigation conducted by any law enforcement agencies in various jurisdictions that shows that money has been misappropriated from 1MDB."
His statement added that there have been no criminal charges against any individuals for misappropriation of funds from 1MDB.
Apandi said that after multiple investigations, the Malaysian authorities, including the anti-corruption commission, found that no crime was committed. Presently there is still an ongoing investigation conducted by Malaysian police concerning 1MDB, he added.
The statement came after reports emerged on Thursday that U.S. authorities sought to seize 540 million U.S. dollars worth of assets that the DoJ said were acquired with funds misappropriated from 1MDB.
The attorney general also dismissed the insinuations that have been made against the Malaysian prime minister, saying that "at no point in the civil claims is the Prime Minister named as a defendant or has been alleged to have committed any wrong doing."[ Editor: Xueying ]