Grappling with wildfires, Los Angeles authorities warn of challenging 24 hours ahead

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 6 (Xinhua) -- The Los Angeles City Emergency Management Department sent a wildfire emergency text message to mobile phone users in the region Wednesday night, asking them to stay alert so that they could evacuate if necessary.

"Strong winds overnight creating extreme fire danger. Stay alert. Listen to authorities," the text message said.

"It's critically important for people that live in wildland areas that you sleep with one eye open tonight," Los Angeles county fire chief Daryl Osby said at a press conference Wednesday.

Kate Roypirom, a resident of Porter Ranch, a community 17 km west of Sylmar which has been suffering from a rapidly-spreading wildfire since Tuesday morning, said she snapped into emergency action on receiving the alert.

"I packed the important things... (and) was ready to evacuate. My friend let us ... stay in their house," the 42-year-old told Xinhua.

The brush fire near Sylmar, 42 km northwest of downtown Los Angeles, burned down 30 houses and by Wednesday night was threatening about 2,500 more homes, despite 1,700 firefighters battling the blaze for more than 36 hours.

Officials said Wednesday the fire, dubbed the Creek Fire, had been 5 percent contained. It scorched 12,605 acres (51 square km) and forced 100,000 people to be evacuated.

Another wildfire, called the Skirball Fire, much closer to Los Angeles downtown, was also contained 5 percent as of Wednesday night.

The Skirball Fire blazed near the Skirball Cultural Center and the Getty Center, 25 km west of downtown and only 4 km west of the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA).

The UCLA canceled all classes Tuesday afternoon in response to heavy traffic there diverted from Skirball and also decided to put off a basketball match with the University of Montana scheduled for Wednesday night.

However, the campus is not yet included in the evacuation zone. "No evacuations are anticipated," the UCLA said in a message to students.

A third brush fire dubbed Thomas erupted Monday night in Santa Paula of Ventura County, 110 km northwest of Los Angeles downtown. By 6:00 p.m. Wednesday (0200 GMT Thursday) it had gutted roughly 90,000 acres (364.2 square km), carving out a path of destruction that stretched more than 10 miles (17 km) to the Pacific beachfront communities.

"We stand a good chance of a challenging night and day tomorrow," California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection spokesperson Tim Chavez told the press, adding that there's potential for fire growth on the northwest side. "It's going to be a difficult night and day."

Thousands of residents in Ojai, a vacation town 14 km northwest of Santa Paula, received an emergency evacuation order about 9:00 p.m. Wednesday (0500 GMT Thursday).

State fire officials said about 12,000 homes remain threatened by flames in entire southern California, while 50,000 people have been forced to flee.

[ Editor: meng ]
 

Comment

View all

Comments are filtered for language and registration is not required. Guangming Online makes no guarantee of comments' factual accuracy. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.