Cuba hands over U.S. fugitive wanted by Interpol

HAVANA, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- Cuba has handed over to the U.S. authorities a fugitive wanted for "serious crimes," the government said Wednesday.

The fugitive, whose name wasn't released, was wanted by Interpol, the Cuban Foreign Ministry said on its website.

"This action is based on Cuba's strict compliance with its international legal obligations and existing bilateral agreements with the United States regarding law enforcement," the ministry said.

The fugitive U.S. citizen entered Cuban territory on Oct. 28, added the statement.

Law enforcement is the area of bilateral cooperation that has not been hampered by the rollback in U.S.-Cuba ties.

The two countries have frequent high-level meetings in Washington as part of their efforts to curb crimes.

Bilateral ties were rolled back after U.S. President Donald Trump took office in 2017, reversing his predecessor's push to normalize relations.

Last year Trump signed a presidential memorandum toughening U.S. policy towards Cuba, prohibiting U.S. companies from doing business with firms associated with Cuba's military, and restricting U.S. citizens' travel to the Caribbean nation.

[ Editor: WPY ]
 

Comment

View all

Comments are filtered for language and registration is not required. Guangming Online makes no guarantee of comments' factual accuracy. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.