Pompeo calls for ending Gulf dispute during Qatar visit

DOHA, Jan. 13 (Xinhua) -- Visiting U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday called for ending the continuing crisis between Qatar and mainly its Arab Gulf neighbors.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Qatari Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, Pompeo said that the diplomatic rift among the Arab Gulf countries benefited their adversaries.

"We are all more powerful when we are working together and disputes are limited. When we have a common challenge, disputes between countries with shared objectives are never helpful," Pompeo said.

Pompeo arrived in Doha earlier in the day from Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), as he continued his ongoing tour of the Middle East that has already taken him to Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, and the UAE. He will travel to Saudi Arabia as his next stop.

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the UAE and Egypt severed ties with Qatar in June 2017, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism. Qatar has strongly denied the accusations.

Last week, Anthony Zinni, the U.S. envoy tasked with resolving the Qatari crisis, announced his resignation, citing that he felt he reached a dead-end in the efforts to end the Gulf dispute. Enditem

[ Editor: Zhang Zhou ]
 

Comment

View all

Comments are filtered for language and registration is not required. Guangming Online makes no guarantee of comments' factual accuracy. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.