Yang Changqin: inheritor of the Chishui Bamboo Weaving Technique

我叫杨昌芹,是一个90后的苗族,

I’m Yang Changqin, a post-90s member of the Miao ethnic group.

来自中国的十大竹乡之一贵州赤水,

I’m from Chishui city in southwest China’s Guizhou Province. It boasts one of China’s top 10 bamboo forests.

也是我们省级非物质文化遗产赤水竹编的第六代传承人。

I’m the six-generation inheritor of the Chishui Bamboo Weaving Technique.

我从小用我妈妈的话说是非常倔强的一个人,

In my mother’s words, I was very stubborn since I was a child.

性格就像竹子一样,比较那种不屈不饶,

Like bamboo, I have an indomitable spirit.

一般不会轻易选择一件事情,选择的话就会死磕到底的那种。

I seldom make hasty decisions. Once I decide to do something, I’ll stick to it.

我从2007年开始学习竹编,到现在已经12年了。

I started to learn bamboo weaving in 2007. It’s been 12 years since then.

以前,咱们的手艺是比较传统的,

In the past, we weaved bamboo in traditional ways.

后来我始终在想,咱们赤水竹编只有创新,

I was always considering product innovation.

把传统手艺和更多的设计,跨界的融合,创新的发展,

Only if we apply modern aesthetic ideas, combining the traditional weaving technique with inter-disciplinary and innovative designs,

和现在的生活审美融合,它才会有更好的发展传承。

can we promote the development and inheritance of Chishui Bamboo Weaving Technique.

所以也开发了一系列的,竹丝扣瓷,精细立体竹编系列,

Therefore, we developed new product lines, such as porcelain-bodied bamboo-ware and stereoscopic bamboo-weaving products.

比如说咱们的酒具、茶具,灯罩、包这些首饰、小配饰这些,

We have products like wine sets, tea sets, lampshades, bags, ornaments, and small accessories.

还有就是咱们现在接受更多的私人定制的产品,

We also have more customized products now,

客人可以订制做成他想要的款式,这些都可以。

so that customers can order the patterns they want.

我是2012年成立的牵手竹艺发展有限公司,

In 2012, I established Hand-in-Hand Bamboo Art Development Co. Ltd,

就是希望牵更多的人的手,来发展传承好我们的竹艺。

hoping that more and more people can join us to develop and pass down our bamboo art.

我觉得它不仅是非遗,

For me, Chishui Bamboo Weaving Technique is not merely a cultural heritage.

也可以作为脱贫攻坚的特色支柱产业来做,

We can also use it to develop a special pillar industry to alleviate poverty.

每个地方的非遗它有每个地方的特色,

Intangible cultural heritages show characteristics of the place that keeps it alive.

也是咱们乡村振兴以后的一个文化的支撑。

It can also provide cultural support for the rural revitalization.

我教了各个乡镇的村民们学习竹编技艺,至少有2000人以上了,

I’ve taught more than 2,000 people from various villages and towns the bamboo weaving skills.

我的员工,80%是我们当地的留守妇女,

Eighty percent of my workers are women whose spouses are working away from home.

我把我们的竹编手艺交给他们,

The reason why I teach them bamboo weaving is that

他们能够凭他们自己的手艺,有一份稳定的收入,提升自我的一种价值,

they can use these skills to earn a regular income and improve themselves.

我觉得就是特别欣慰的地方。

]This is a great consolation to me.

希望咱们每个人都能完成咱们的梦想,

I hope that everyone can fulfill his/her dreams,

也希望咱们的每个人的小梦想组成咱们中国的中国梦。

and that all our dreams can form a Chinese dream of our nation.

[ Editor: SRQ ]