Wang Jing: inheritor of the costume of Buyi ethnic group

我叫王菁,布依族。

I’m Wang Jing, a member of the Buyi ethnic group.

我的家乡在贵州省黔西南州。

My hometown is Qianxi Buyi and Miao Autonomous Prefecture in southwest China’s Guizhou Province.

我是国家级布依族服饰非遗传承人。

I’m an inheritor of the costume of Buyi ethnic group, a national intangible cultural heritage.

布依族服饰的布料经过我们纯天然的植物板蓝根的叶子,来配合一些中草药来染制的,

The costume of Buyi people is made with cloth dyed with the leaves of radix isatidis and other Chinese herbs.

主要以蓝白黑为主色调。

The primary colors are blue, white, and black.

上面的一些图案纹样,最有代表性的叫水涡纹,

The most representative design pattern on the costume is the water-eddy pattern,

代表一种吉祥平安幸福的一种意愿。

representing a wish for auspiciousness, safety, and happiness.

我经常到民族村寨去采风,收集这些很老的东西,

I always go to the ethnic villages to collect objects that have a long history.

20多年的收藏现在展示在我博物馆里面,

I’ve been collecting them for more than 20 years,

大概有400多件老的物件。

and my collection of more than 400 objects is displayed at my museum.

我觉得我们的民族文化应该要在保护中开发,在开发中传承。

I think we should protect, develop, and pass down our ethnic culture at the same time.

2002年我创办布谷鸟,当时是一个很小很小的小作坊,

In 2002, I established Cuckoo, which was an extremely small workshop

三台缝纫机,带着两个小妹妹,

with three sewing machines and two young female workers.

就在30多个平方的这么一个小作坊慢慢地发展起来。

The workshop took up around 30 square meters, and from there, I started to slowly expand my business.

现在我建的布依族文化风情园占地有5.748亩,

Now, I’ve built a Buyi ethnic cultural park that covers 5.748 mu.

公司有一百多人,其中还有一些贫困户。

There’re more than 100 workers in my company, some of whom are from low-income families.

经营方向主要是以布依族的服饰、文创产品、家纺用品、工艺品,包括我们的香包这些产品。

Mostly, our products are of Buyi ethnic characteristics, such as the costume, cultural and creative products, home textile, handicrafts, and sachets.

我们还给学校做校服,

We also make uniforms for schools.

把我们民族元素应用在校服上,

Applying our ethnic elements to school uniforms,

让我们年轻人更多的了解我们的民族文化。

we can let young people know more about our ethnic culture.

从2014年到2019我一共培训了8000多人,

I’ve trained more than 8,000 people from 2014 to 2019.

不仅是培训他们的技术,还培训他们的思想,

I not only provide them with technical trainings, but also help them change their way of thinking.

学好一门技术,然后通过自己的双手往后能够增收致富。

So they can learn the skills, and then increase their income by themselves.

我想让我们贵州的文化像布谷鸟一样,

I hope that our Guizhou culture can be like cuckoo,

飞越高山,飞向世界,

flying over the mountains and reaching the whole world.

我们有这样的一个期盼。

This is our dream.

[ Editor: SRQ ]