New Flamengo manager Renato promises attacking football
RIO DE JANEIRO, July 12 (Xinhua) -- New Flamengo boss Renato Portaluppi has vowed to adopt an attacking style of play as he attempts to return the Rio de Janeiro club to Brazilian football's summit.
The winners of the past two Brazilian Serie A titles are currently eighth in the 20-team league standings after a shaky start to the season that led to last week's sacking of manager Rogerio Ceni.
"I've always played to win wherever I've been and without a doubt we're going to attack," Renato, a former Flamengo player, told a virtual news conference on Monday.
"Each coach has their way of working. I'm going to exchange some ideas with the players and I will try to put into practice what I think is best for the club."
Renato has been out of work since ending a successful five-year tenure as head coach of Gremio in April. As a player, Renato had four separate spells with Flamengo in a 20-year professional career that included 41 Brazil caps.
"I've said before that this was a dream of mine and now it's come true," said the 58-year-old, who was confirmed as Flamengo's new manager on Saturday. "Every coach has to think big and high. In my opinion, being manager of Flamengo is the same as being head coach of the Brazil national team."
Renato's first game in charge will be the opening leg of Flamengo's Copa Libertadores round of 16 clash against Defensa y Justicia in Argentina on Wednesday.[ Editor: WPY ]